Tuesday 2 April 2013

I Still Hope To Get Married Some Day - Oko Mi Ye Crooner Stella Monye



Everybody deserves love and companionship if they so wish. God will hear your heartfelt prayer and grant you your own husband. This is an excerpt from an interview she granted Punch


Would you say that your profession may have been the reason you are not married?
It absolutely had something to do with it. I told myself I would take care of my career before getting married. In the process of wanting to take care of my career, it took so long. It is just like travelling to a far place and instead of eating, you decide that you’ll wait till you get to your destination and somehow, you die before you get to your destination. I felt there wouldn’t be any Nigerian man that would understand that your work was a career. It was a misconception on my side. I never took time to give men a chance. 
So suitors were coming?
Oh yes, they were coming. One actually said a good girl who goes out to work should get home by 5pm. I didn’t understand what he was saying. I told him that my work actually starts by 5pm and ends in the morning. I became scared of him. I told him I wasn’t working in an office. I felt he was trying to ‘bench’ me and I didn’t want that. I met another one from the North who said I would need to be covering myself up more. He said he was a royalty and as such, I shouldn’t be jumping on the stage. He said his tradition didn’t permit it. So, that one had to end. I probably wasn’t lucky to have met a guy who would have taken me despite my career.
If you had met such a person, would you have married him?
I would have taken a chance if I loved him. My feelings were important as well. I would have found out if the person would have been worth spending the rest of my life with.
Have you ruled out your chances of marriage?
No way. Absolutely not! My friends would tell me that I didn’t get married in the morning and I actually think I would be able to get married now? But I tell them it is no problem. I know I will meet somebody who may be in his 60s or 70 who will desire me and decide to keep me in his house.

No comments:

Post a Comment